Position: Policy & Organizing Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
OutFront Minnesota Community Services (OutFront) was founded in August 1987 and since that time, has been the catalyst for an expansive statewide network of leaders who work for equity and organize for liberation and justice. We believe that every lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) Minnesotan is a vital community member, that we all have intersecting identities, and the health and wellbeing of LGBTQ Minnesotans is crucial to creating a more just world. This belief compels us to challenge structural and individual barriers that limit our self-determination and ability to thrive.
OutFront’s mission is to create a state where LGBTQ people are free to be who they are, love who they love, and live without fear of violence, harassment or discrimination. In our effort to make our state a place where all people are valued, we engage in community education, direct service, organizing, and policy advocacy. The overall goals of our work are to: (1) strengthen the movement for LGBTQ equity; (2) develop leaders who can organize others to work toward LGBTQ liberation; (3) win over the hearts and minds of Minnesotans.
On a day-to-day basis, this position will (a) recruit, support and engage a base of LGBTQ equity supporters (b) track and coordinate outreach, actions and trainings, and (c) lead leadership development efforts. This full-time policy and organizer position will also participate in statewide organizing, policy change work and civic engagement.
● Develop leaders that will together educate, engage, and mobilize new activists and voters across the political spectrum. Activities of these teams will include, but are not limited to:
○ Recruitment phone calls
○ One to one visits
○ Canvasses and in-person volunteer recruitment
○ Online advocacy
○ House parties
○ Community gatherings
● Move local activists to work for LGBTQ equity in their communities, schools, congregations, and statewide.
● With support, develop and meet benchmark goals for building relationships with and mobilizing activists.
● Collaboratively create messages around justice and LGBTQ equity to use in community outreach and education.
● Participate in trainings related to job duties and work towards professional development goals.
● Track all data in appropriate databases and reporting forms including the VAN.
● Build and maintain strategic relationships with policy makers, coalition partners, and candidates.
● Work with other staff to organize OutFront’s political committee work.
● Implement advocacy agenda.
● Monitor legislative policies and trends.
● Participate in grassroots fundraising.
Work Hours: Full-Time, Exempt; often including evenings and weekends.
● One to three years experience in grassroots community organizing, electoral organizing, and/or volunteer management.
● Proven ability to support, train and develop leaders.
● Willingness and means to travel through out the Twin Cities Metro area and Greater Minnesota.
● Proven competence as a database user; preferably with VAN and MyCampaign.
● Strong commitment to equity for LGBTQ people including disabled people, people of color, transgender people, youth, elders, and women.
● Desire for coaching and learning new things.
● Proven ability and desire to work across differences such as race, gender, ethnicity, age and other aspects of identity.
LGBTQ people of color and trans/transgender/gender non-conforming people are encouraged to apply. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, April 25th.
If you have an opening you'd like to post here, please contact OutFront's Director of External Affairs, Jennifer Houston, at email@example.com.
Internships at OutFront
We offer unpaid, quarter-long or semester-long internships year round. For more information, and to apply for any current internships, contact the head of the department you would like to intern in HERE.